Dear Families: It is hard to believe that there are only three months of school left for the 2015/2016 school year. Although the year may be starting to wind down, there is still a lot going on…please take a few minutes to read through the entire newsletter. Thank you!
PTA Meeting: Wednesday, March 16 @ 6:30-8PM – Singapore Math
March’s meeting will include our executive PTA board elections and parent education about Singapore Math. This discussion, lead by our High Tech teachers, will help parents understand what Singapore Math is and how best to support your child. A recent article on PBS.org provides some background about Singapore Math:
- Singapore math, which refers to the teaching methods or the actual curriculum used for kindergarten through sixth grade in the small island country, has become popular due to Singapore’s consistent top ranking on an international assessment of student math achievement.
- Supporters of Singapore math credit the Singaporean methods of instruction and curriculum for its students’ success. While American math instruction often relies on drilling and memorization of many skills each year, Singapore math focuses on children not just learning but also truly mastering a limited number of concepts each school year.
- Singapore math is not what most parents in the United States studied in school.
Make sure to attend the March PTA meeting in order to learn more. Child care is provided for children ages 3+ in the gymnasium.
Help Your Teacher Win a Free Massage
Only 2 days left…Win a 60-minute massage at Blue Creek – Therapeutic Health Spa for your child’s teacher by purchasing your Flappers & Fellas auction tickets by Sunday, March 6. The teacher with the highest percentage of tickets sold will win! Volunteers will assign each ticket sold to a teacher based on enrollment lists. Tickets are $40 each until March 24, when prices increase to $50e each. Purchase tickets online at www.HighTechPTA.com or send a check made out to “High Tech Elementary PTA” to school with your child.
They are little, but mighty! We have raised $500 in Box Tops rewards since the start of the school year! That’s 5000 box tops. Thank you for continuing to collect these and don’t forget that each month, the class that brings in the most Box Tops wins a free dress day. Ms. Babowice’s class earned a free dress day this Friday (3/4/16) for the most Box Tops collected in February.
Fund a Teacher’s Auction Ticket
Unfortunately, not every teacher can win the free massage contest, but there still an opportunity to help them attend the auction and enjoy a well-deserved night of fun and relaxation! During online ticket sales check out, you can either:
- Purchase a full ticket(s) for a teacher(s), OR
- Contribute funds toward all teacher tickets — use the “Make a One-Time Donation” field.
Teacher Treasures – Only Available for Sign Up at the Auction
For the second year, High Tech teachers are offering exclusive experiences for students. Like “Get Tucked in by Your Teacher” (a 2-hr experience w/ milk & cookies), “Visit Casa Bonita,” “Movie Day” (at the Aurora Movie Tavern), and “Take Me out to the Ballgame” (watching the Rockies at Coors Field). The ONLY way to sign your student up for these experiences is at this year’s auction. Tickets are available now at www.hightechpta.com.
We need parent volunteers to help run the Hawk Store, especially on Wednesdays during lunch from 11:15-12PM (Volunteers needed from 11AM-12:15PM). Students can visit the Community Room off of the Cafeteria (limited prize selection) after eating lunch.
Stay up-to-date on everything PTA: add yourself and your family to MySchoolAnywhere.